About Me

My photo
I have a huge..BIG and important testimony- I just don't know what it is yet. In the meantime I work hard, take care of my SELF and try hard at achieving all my dreams.

Monday, November 8, 2010

27 YEARS OLD!



Two months ago I turned 27 years old-yes not young but old. I am a fairly optimistic person so it’s strange that I do not use young at the end of 27. Relatively I know I am still young but not as young as when people tell me in their pity voices, “don’t worry about being single, you are still so young.”

The most obvious greatness about this age is that I am happier with myself. I feel at peace, secure and very comfortable. The not so great lingering thought is when people- and it happens about once a week, tell me that I am young. It usually happens when they ask me about my dating life. I don’t get too worked up about their “you are young” comment as much as I get upset with myself for agreeing!

So yes, I smile back and say yes I am still young, I have not met Mr. Right but I am still young!!!

YEA right- the honest truth is that I do not think I am that young. I come from a traditional Latino home and 27 and single is a red flag for “you might not be gay but maybe you don’t like men.” But forget what my family thinks, when I go to bars, I am no longer the 24 year old single girl with a great smile and looking for a nice evening. I am the 27 year old single who is usually with the 2 other couples (yes I’m usually a 5th wheel.) Ok, so I am over bar scene so I hang out with my friends but i cant help but think that their lives are so much different then mine because they have been in their live in relationships for years and i am the "other."

It’s okay that I am single but let’s not say that I am young in this context….

I am 27 and have been an over achiever for most of my life. It’s hard when I keep pushing the marriage/mother age as I continue to do.

Furthermore, last night I went to a young professional singles event and I felt like a chaperon; most of the attendees where between 22-25 years young. 27 is not far from 25 but it’s closer to 30.

My job for self improvement this week is to appreciate all that comes with my age- I surely do not want to do the mistakes I did at 24 so I am much more comfortable here, but if people could be more sensitive and realistic about 27, that would help a lot. The next time someone says “you are still young” I will agree to disagree. For grandkids I am young for a date on a Friday night I am past due.

I can not control not being with Mr. Right but I can control how I react and how i communicate my feelings with others.

By Lunalove

1 comment:

  1. I'm never brave enough to go to those things by myself! KUDOS

    ReplyDelete